Monday, March 5, 2012

Caste

Our class reading on Indian caste was fascinating. The book, took a realistic view of caste. While it has been illegal for some time, that does not mean that it does not still have a significant presence in society. The caste system has significantly changed, and not always for the better. The government's affirmative action welfare for low caste individuals has created a reverse caste system where people clamor for the benefits of a low caste. This system does have its merits, but it also perpetuates the very system it tries to correct. The author interviewed members of several different castes and explained the way each viewed caste.

What really struck me was the fatalistic undertone of each caste. This made me realize that perhaps the capitalistic desire for money, power, and prestige are not human nature at all. Here is an entire culture that is built on the idea that whatever class you are born into is a direct result of your past actions. God (or the gods in this case) want you to live the best life possible in your caste. This was quite a shift in my thinking. I considered further. Do I even like the pressure to dress better, work harder, earn more money, gain respect? Ok, fine, I do. But I am a competitive person. Do others? Sometimes I think it might be nice to have an outline of responsibilities and jobs available to you and a list of virtues to adopt. The choices are limited to be sure, but you can always do your job as well as you are able, and the promise of a better life in the future is rather alluring. Gaining insight into the caste has helped me better understand the cultural attitudes of the Indian people and question the foundations of my own culture. I feel greater sympathy for the caste system. We should not fully condemn them through our own individualistic lens. Neither view is better. In fact, they both would likely benefit from understanding one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment