Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Ophelia Syndrome


(John William Waterhouse- my favorite artist)

I recently reread Diagnosing the Ophelia Syndrome. I first read it last semester in my Introduction to Development class. However, when reading it for field studies preparation, I came away with entirely different thoughts. I would like to discuss the highlights and how I can implement them to prepare for my field study.
(Yes.. writing about this was also an excuse to include some of my favorite Ophelia artwork.)


Seek out learning. Learning is not memorizing facts, taking notes and spitting out the teacher's opinions. True learning requires innovative thinking. Challenging the opinions of others. Changing your own way of thinking. While I feel I have improved my critical thinking skills it is often easy to get caught up in the never ending "to do"s of the day and listen without truly thinking and questioning. I should enjoy what I am learning rather than simply yearning to check something off my list. Staying on top of my work as should help this. Using positive self talk and reminding myself why I love school and learning helps keeps me excited about what I am learning and participating in class.



Write in a journal. This will be an essential part of my field study. Keeping daily notes and reflections is a part of my research. I have never been very good at consistently writing in my journal, but this year I have been trying to jot down some reflections a few times a week in my journal. This has not been easy, but I find that it gives my time to personally reflect on my goals as well as my progress. This blog too has served as a journal of sorts. It helps me to continue my thoughts from class. Rather than quickly reading the assignment and discussing in class, I think about our discussions throughout the week and consider what to blog about.




Distrust experts. We do not know everything. Accept that and reject scholars' certainty. I take this advice more cautiously. I should read the research of development scholars. While there is certainly room to learn from the work of others, I need to develop my own ideas. Results vary so much based the culture and idiosyncrasies of the region, and motivations of the researcher. No research or theory is law. I may consider them thoughtfully, but their opinions should not taint my own research.



Foster idle thinking. This is probably the most difficult. Idle thinking requires relaxed downtime where you, you know, do nothing. In college it feels near impossible to finish all the homework, studying, and reading (much less exercise and socialize). Justifying doing nothing is difficult. When reflecting on this conundrum  I decided several things. I resolved to use my time more efficiently. I realized today while listening to the devotional that I can cut down on my online time. Spending every moment either working, or being entertained leaves little room to feel the Spirit. I can replace my mindless entertainment (television and social media) with quality activities. I can read good books. I can debate and discuss. I can practice music with my friends. I can bake. Or I can simply ponder.



I would add to this that final piece of advice. Make time for spiritual study and give the Lord his due. He can magnify my time and help me accomplish what I need to. I should never think because I have so much homework that there is no time to pray or read my scriptures. Spiritual and temporal matters are inseparable. I ought to supplement my secular learning with daily spiritual learning and reflection. This knowledge can only help my studies. In India, I will need this spiritual strength to help me stay stay focused and strong. Through Christ, I can take these concepts into my life. I can change habits that seem insurmountable and I choose joy.

Yes, I am terribly obsessed with Ophelia.

No comments:

Post a Comment